Friday, November 4, 2011

The Biggest Waste of Talent in Sports EVER



Since the day he hit LSU I couldn't stand Shaquita O'Neal. I don't know why. He's just as unlikable as he is likable. That dislike for him followed him all the way through college as he was not even close to being the dominant player he was hyped up to be. That dislike followed him to the Orlando Magic as he got abused by Hakeem the Dream in the NBA finals and to his forced departure to the Lakers. This is where my dislike for him reached a pinnacle. I awed at his size and quickness but was totally turned off by his need to be in the spotlight like a needy child, his need to bully smaller centers such as David Robinson, Pat Ewing, and especially Alonzo Mourning. Most of all I hated that his game never really expanded. Yes he 'developed' a baby hook but other than that, teams still played hack-a-shaq routinely. Why, because he could not step away from the basket and shoot nor could he consistently hit his free throws. He never really improved his game. All the centers mentioned above were not known as jump shooters or deep fade-a-way players coming out of college, BUT they WORKED to develop their games. But all shaquita did was get fatter and more out of shape over the years. Yes he was dominate, but so would most of us if we were that big. Yes his size was his game and you can't fault him from forcing his will but as he got older he had nothing to lean on. He became an irrelevant journeyman who was good for a quote.

I really can talk about Shaq all day but as I was searching the web and on one of my favorite sites, The Bleacher Report, I cam across this article which looked as though I wrote it - If I had any writing skills.

Check it out. It's a good read

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/924602-kobe-vs-shaq-is-shaq-jealous-of-kobes-legacy-and-career

No comments:

Post a Comment