Saturday, September 10, 2011

The NFL is tomorrow - WHO CARES

What up sports world. Happy NFL football eve. Though it seems the world revolves around the money, i.e, the NFL I am more of a college fan. Mainly because I like the homegrown rivalaries which they emcompas. Now I know there are some NFL games which have some type of mean spirited hatred, but it is fan based. In college, it really can take on a sense of pride for both the players and the fans. Games such as Auburn vs Alabama means something to the players and the game takes on special pride for the alumni. Most of the players are from the state of Alabama and most of them had to make the choice between accepting a schoolarship from either Bama or Auburn. When LSU plays Alabama, it's really the STATE of Lousiana vs the STATE of Alabama. Check out their rosters and see how many players hail from their school state. It means something. This weekend in the NFL, the best rivalry in my mind takes place between the Steelers and the Ravens. I love the animosity between the players and the passion that Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Troy Palamalu and Hines Ward play with. But what happens when these two teams suck in the future? Then there is no rivalry. The players will have no care about playing the other team and the fans disdain for the other team will wane. In the 90's, it was the 49ers and Dallas, it was the Bills vs the Dolphins and it was Denver vs the Raiders. Do any of these games have any meaning now? Do these teams even care about each other? The players have no animosity towards each other. When I was a player wayyyyyy back in the day for Oregon State University, we really sucked, but the Civil War, the game against in state rival Oregon, brought out the juice in both the fans and players. It was something special. I wasn't even from the state but really had a dislike for the Ducks. It didn't matter what the records were. All that mattered was winning the game. My senior year, we beat Oregon 21-10, Over 20 years have passed but I can remember the score and practically all the plays. It meant that much. The NFL is manufactured rivalries which come and go. Wherever the money is, the NFL exploits it. I'm not a hater, and I understand that the NFL is a business but with that I believe the NFLcomprimises the game of football. I believe the NFL actually sucks. It sucks because it rarely lives up to the advertised product, it sucks because the players seem more like creations from systems and not pure ballers, and it's just boring to watch a 4 hour telecast and I haven't even gotten to the behavior of the Chad Johnsons of the league. The NFL just doesn't do it for me anymore. But right now, at 9 pm in a Saturday night, I am watching about my 10th game of college football instead of the 3 games on a Sunday. So thank God for the NCAA and college football, and most of all thank God for the SEC - where men play football.

No comments:

Post a Comment